Week 5

This week has been a lot of work and problem solving, though it may not look like a lot of progress…trust me it is. I spent many hours figuring out how to split the hedgies and making a seam that wasn’t too noticable as well as make it functional. The quills are taking longer than I’d like, but I think that’s something that changes with each hedgehog. My first one went quicker than the second, mainly because I spaced them out a little further on the first one and I went a little overboard on the second. But I think I have learned my lesson and will improve on this third one. The third one is already massive, much bigger than I thought, and I think I will stop at three hedgies.

I have completely finished the first two in the set and now just have to put the quills and split the third one in half. Something that is surprising to me about this project is somehow I have managed to make each hedgehog look similar. Usually I have a hard time replicating things and I was pretty impressed with the outcome.

Another worry of mine is when I split my second hedgehog and put the small one inside, it was a bit of a tight squeeze. I carved out the walls and added the lip and it was much better. However, the smallest one had already been drying out and when I checked to see if he fit a few days later, it was a tight squeeze again because the second hedgie had began to dry and shrink. I carved some more of the wall away and it fits good now. I think/hope it will be fine now.

Advertisements

Week 4

This week has been a pretty exciting week in ceramics. I have been working on my nesting hedgehog dolls and am satisfied with the way they are turning out. I know this project will require a lot of extra time put in in order to accomplish the texture that I am placing. The smallest piece from this nesting series is finished and I am now working on the second doll that the smallest will fit into. I have it all built, just waiting to put the texture on it. I have discovered that by the time I get to five hedgies, I will end up with a final massive hedgehog and so have decided to reduce my clan by one. I will now be making four hedgehogs. As far as glazing goes on these pieces, I feel that I will be most satisfied if I don’t try to achieve the natural hedgie color but rather make a range of pastel colors for each doll. So pink, blue, green, etc.

I also had to do my spheres of influence presentation in class today. I’ll be honest I have been dreading this day since it was announced that we had to do this presentation. Overall I think it went well and I freak out over nothing.

I am also learning how to fire the kilns. I have loaded them up before but never really went through the process of firing them. This is exciting to me and I can’t wait to see how it works.

 

Week 3

This week I had the critique from our previous project and got a lot of helpful feedback. Some issues I encountered within the editing process for my animation included blurriness and movement of the camera. I wish I would have taken more time to consider these problems and avoided them. But overall I’m happy with the outcome.

We were also introduced to our next project this week. It is called the Again Project. For this one we have to take our verb from the last project (mine was to grow) and make something that we will actually fire this time. My idea for this one is to make a set of matryoshka dolls (or nesting dolls) that are hedgehogs. So then I will be playing on my verb to grow as they will grow larger from the smallest.

I’m still working on all the details for the hedgehogs like the features and technique for the quills. I also made another batch of clay this week with Carly. This time we made a batch of white stoneware as I thought that would come in handy in some future projects as well.

Week 2

This week I rediscovered how much of a pain stock motion animations are to create.. But it is all worth it. Overall I am happy with the way that my video has turned out. I wish I would have taken more time to create a better transition between the stages of the flower’s growth. This was definitely an interesting project for a ceramics class and really made me think outside of the box. It was odd to sculpt something that I did not intend to fire afterwards. I really enjoyed the process of this piece and was definitely a challenge for me.

It was also a nice contrast to work with porcelain than to the normal shop clay that we use. We created a porcelain batch that contained no grog so it made for a very smooth medium. I felt like that made it easier to sculpt such delicate pieces for this subject matter. I was surprised at how easy it was to keep the flower from drying out throughout this process. I was expecting to have problems with this and have to deal with cracking. Though it cooperated nicely for me and made for a good outcome.