Week 3

This week I have been working on the puggy banks. As it turns out, the package of corks I bought to plug the holes in the puggy banks only has two corks big enough to fit a quarter and so I am limited on the amount of puggy banks I can actually make with the corks. So I have decided to make two large puggy banks with the corks. One will be a standard puggy bank with the cork on bottom while the other one will have a cork in its mouth (“put a cork in it”). So that I can continue making more puggy banks I have decided to make three more smaller versions that will release the money through a lid rather than the cork. I also thought about making these three a set and use the three different clay bodies so that they will be different colors. To change these puggy banks up a bit, I’m considering putting hats on them as handles for the lid. I thought that would be a cute touch. We also learned how to make Terra sig. I partnered up with Carly and we mixed together the Kentucky stone clay Terra sig and it is currently settling. I also got one of my ceramic pieces into the juried art show here at IUS and was honored to have it selected for the show. I submitted my 30 in sculpture from my second semester of ceramics titled Pug Pile. Carly and I also did a collaboration piece this week just for fun. When we were in high school we would make these weird drawings where each of us would choose an animal and we would exchange the paper back and forth and draw a body part until we had a complete morphed animal with characteristics from each animal we chose. We had folders full of these drawings. While we were sitting in ceramics class we thought it would be cool if we did the same concept, but with sculpting. So in class Carly choose an owl and I chose a gorilla and we passed the sculpture around and created this weird animal that we called a Growl. There will probably be more of these weird creations to pop up throughout the rest of this semester.

Advertisements

Week 2

We’ve been through a lot this past week. I began our first project for this semester which will be to create pieces to go into a pit firing. This will be a new firing experience for me and I’m excited to see how it all works. I decided to make some puggy banks for this first project. I plan on creating a few sets of them so that they look uniform. I will also be experimenting with a few ways to retrieve the money from the vessel. I decided to try out some corks this semester and see how all that will work.

I ordered a package of corks in various sizes and when they came in I saw that there were some very tiny ones. This has inspired me to eventually make some pug salt and pepper shakers as well. I will probably incorporate that into one of the other firings when we get there.

I also got to make some clay with my group this week. We created some dark low firing clay for the pit firing. The batch turned out surprisingly well without any complications. Normally when I make clay I feel like something goes wrong, but that was not the case this time.

Also, an update on the bulldogs: they survived the bisque firing and are now awaiting the cone 6 firing. I put some cone 6 clear glaze solely on the eyes and parts of the tongue, that way they have a more realistic quality hopefully when they pop out of the kiln.

Week 1

The first week of this semester we completed introductions in our first class and discussed what projects we have to look forward to in this coming semester. Unfortunately I had the flu and was unable to make it to class on Wednesday and did not participate in the activities of that class period. However, I do have new work to share that I have been working on over winter break. 

Right before the closing of last semester I had someone approach me for a commission work based off my pug sculpture I created a year ago. They requested that I make a miniature stack of English bulldogs consisting of only two dogs in comparison to many on my pug pile. It is completely sculpted now and glazed (with Mason stains) and last I saw it was in the process of being bisqued. I plan on putting clear cone 6 glaze on areas I wish to be shiny such as the eyes and areas of the tongue. Then I will finish it off with a final cone 6 firing.